- You can now book parent teacher conferences online. I teach two classes so please book as soon as possible to ensure you have a meeting time.
- The full instructions for the math puzzle were sent home this evening. The students are asked to solve the equations and then we can cut and glue it together on Friday.
- In math we have started 2-digit by 2-digit multiplication. It is important that students continue practicing basic facts and 2-digit by 1-digit multiplication at home to help support the development of multiplying 2-digit by 2-digit numbers.
- Students have started their second major French project. They are tasked with creating a scrapbook, on paper or digital, about their family. They will need photos for this so please upload them to their Google Drive, email them to me, or send them to school with the students.
- Parent Teacher Conferences will be open for booking tomorrow morning. If you are a parent or guardian of a student in 5C, I would like to meet with you either during conferences or another time after school if the conference dates do not work. If you would like to speak about physical education or music, you will need to book with their other teachers.
- Math puzzle is for homework this week. There are 3 sheets in total and the students currently have just one. Tomorrow they will receive another and on Friday we will complete the final product.
- Some grades are now live on PowerSchool/My CBE app. If you need help downloading or logging on to the app, the two following sites can help:
- Power School is now live. Parents should be able to access student grades for certain things now on the app. There is a math quiz marked out of 12, two French projects and more to come. Please note that not ALL of the things teachers grade will be posted to PowerSchool, but enough to give you an idea of how your child is doing.
- A postcard went home about Cobs and their fundraiser with the school. Stay tuned for the possibility of a Fun Nutrition Break, instead of Fun Lunch, with Cobs.
- Eric Walters came to school today! The students were surprised how many experiences he has and how generous he has been to an orphanage in Kenya.
- Math homework this week will be a puzzle. Tonight students are asked to continue practicing 2-digit by 1-digit multiplication and getting the answers to the equations. Eventually, they will receive more pieces and all pieces glue together to make a hexagon and the edges match equation to product.
- There IS school on Monday and 5C will be completing their animation studio residency. If students took home pieces of art that need to be completed by Monday, please make sure it is done and you bring it to school so that you don't let your group down.
- Eric Walters is here on Monday. You can bring a copy of one of his books to be signed or purchase one during the event. The books range in price from $10-$21; please bring cash.
- 5C completed their first design challenge of the year. After reading Papa est Perdu in French, which is a book about a girl and her dad who go to an amusement park, we challenged the students in Intensive French to create a roller coaster. We went to the Learning Commons where Ms. Asis ran us through the empathy stage of design thinking where we paired with one other group to interview them and gather ideas. Students then had an entire afternoon to create a roller coaster that a marble could ride. See some photos below!
- We had our Remembrance Day Ceremony today. 5C sang O Canada, partly in English and partly in French. The mother-in-law of our acting principal also joined us. She is part of the small 2% of veterans still living today from world war II.
- You can start booking Parent Teacher Conferences next week. They are on November 22nd and 23rd. Your students have myself for French and Math, Mrs. Burns for music and physical education at the moment. Trimester one ends on December 2 and they will begin their new option on December 3. The semester ends in February at which point 5C will start their english term with Mr. Barg and still see me regularly for math and flex.
- Animation studio is on Monday. The background settings need to be complete and most characters.
- Eric Walters also comes on Monday! If you have a book, you can get it signed.
- Math Game- multiples of 4 and 8 does not require a partner and should be played by Friday.
- Design Challenge tomorrow afternoon.
- Remembrance Day Rehearsal after school. We are hoping the students practicing O Canada will be done by 3:45 and In Flanders Field by 4.
- Remembrance Day Ceremony on Friday. Please wear a white shirt with no writing or pictures and a dark pair of pants.
- Ski forms are due tomorrow.
Today in class we reviewed the elements of a story and how to create a storyline. We analyzed the following short animated film as a example.
- We still need lots of recyclable materials as only two students brought some supplies in.
- Remembrance Day rehearsal is Thursday after school. Please return the letter signed with permission or not.
- Remembrance Day Ceremony is Friday at 11am if parents want to attend.
- Ski forms due tomorrow!
- Retakes AND class photos are tomorrow!
Here are a few things that will be happening this week.
Safety patrol and ski forms are due Monday, November 8th. If your child forgot to take them home, they can be found on the main landing page for the grade 5 blogs.
Picture retakes on November 7th.
Design Challenge: Students in 5C are asked to bring in any cardboard, carton or plastic materials that can be used for a Design Challenge. This week we will read a book in French that is set in an amusement part. Then on Thursday, November 8th in the afternoon the students will participate in a design challenge to create a roller coaster and have one of our Ozobots ride the rollercoaster.
Remembrance Day: There will be a rehearsal for all students participating in the Remembrance Day Ceremony on Thursday after school. The students in 5C will be singing the bilingual version of O Canada, and some students have volunteered to do In Flanders Field in French as well. The ceremony will be on Friday, November 9th. We will go down to the gym in the morning to sing and then return to class, later, we will perform and attend the second ceremony.
Animation Studio: we will have one more session with the animation studio on Monday, November 12th. This week groups will brainstorm their storyline and create their backgrounds and props required for their next session.
Eric Walters: We have been reading Trapped in Ice in preparation for Eric Walters visit. He will be at Nose Creek on Monday, November 12th. If students have a book by Eric Walters they can bring it to school to be signed.
- Ski forms are due back on November 8th. Payments can be made online using PowerSchool, or you can send cash/cheque to school. If you need to talk about payment, you can talk to Mr Price. We will be skiing in December.
- Safety Patrols are coming to Nose Creek School! Students in grade 5 through 8 can apply to be a safety patroller and help out students and community members.
- Math Tic Tac Toe is to be played 3 times by Friday.
- November 7- Picture Retakes
Today we spent the afternoon with a team of artists who taught 5C all about animation. Check out some photos below!
Grade 5 Intensive French and Math teacher at Nose Creek School
May 10, 2019: Bowling Field Trip
May 17, 2019: No school
May 20, 2019: No school