5C will continue to work on their shapes and space unit. By know they should be able to identify and describe quadrilaterals and measure objects accurately using mm, cm and meters. This week we will focus on perimeter of a variety of shapes and area of squares and rectangles again. Next week we will start volume and capacity!
In French, 5C has completed their postcards and are now researching a place in Canada. They will create a website that describes how to get there, the weather, activities, food and good restaurants, and what to pack for each season.
5F in French is starting a unit about their dream house and will collaborate with the grade 7 French class to learn about and map communities. Please check with your child and their grades on PowerTeacher to make sure there are no late or overdue assignments.
- Learning Commons fundraiser is due Friday, May 3rd. All forms must be taken to the learning commons and handed to Mrs. Bennett.
- There is a fun lunch next week and our bowling field trip.
- Bowling permission forms are due on tomorrow, Friday, April 26th.
5C will continue to explore shapes and measurement in math this week. As well, in French they are finishing up their postcards with the hopes of sending them on Friday.
5F is finishing up a unit on food and their eating habits this week. They will come up with a survey question and population and conduct a survey, then graph their results. Also, they will create a mini play about being at a restaurant. Next week, they will be starting a unit on their house and community.
- In math, 5C is covering shapes and measurement this week.
- In French, 5C is writing their postcards.
- In French, 5F is starting a unit on food and will be designing plates to match what they ate on a particular day and then talk about their food habits and if that's something they do often, sometimes or never.
- There is fun nutrition break on Wednesday, April 17th.
- There is no school on Friday, April 19th and Monday, April 22nd.
5C has started a new unit in math and therefore will be completing one last division and probability check in on Monday. We have been exploring measurement so far and looked at different forms of measurement used historically and for different things. The class attempted to create a measuring tool and measure something then swap information with a classmate to see if they could find the object. Meanwhile, discussing and discovering the importance of the metric system!
In French, we have started designing postcards and building our vocabulary in preparation to write them. We will be sending them by the end of the month.
As for 5F in French, we worked on clothing all week long and had a fashion show on Friday. We will continue with clothing this week and start our food unit soon!
Don't forget the Paul Davis presentation
Times for the Paul Davis presentation during the day, and evening are below:
· 10:55-11:50 Grades 7-9, Main Gym
· 1:00 - 2:00 Grades 4-6, Main Gym
· Parent Presentation (for parents only, no students) - 6:30 pm, Main Gym ( 90 min + Q & A )
Welcome back after spring break!
We have welcomed our student teacher from the University of Calgary into our classroom just before the break. She will be with us until the end of April and teaching some French lessons!
5F has finished their family unit and all grades are on PowerSchool. They have began a new unit on clothing which will wrap up quickly in just two weeks time.
5C has began their new unit on Canada and will be sending their postcards about Calgary by the end of the month. They have loved receiving postcards from Montreal, Pocatière (Quebec), Ottawa, Timmins, Carp, Brampton, Bracebridge (Ontario), and Moose Jaw (Saskatchewan).
In math, 5C is wrapping up their first round of division and we will be back to revisit before June. We will begin studying measurement and geometry next.
Grade 5 Intensive French and Math teacher at Nose Creek School
May 10, 2019: Bowling Field Trip
May 17, 2019: No school
May 20, 2019: No school