- All grade 5 students (who have not opted out) will be partaking in HS for the next week and a bit. For those who have opted out, they will be doing a unit on active and healthy lifestyles. You can check out some of their work on the active living tab above.
- 5C will be starting a new math unit on 2D and 3D shapes
- 5F is starting a new French project called "Dream House"
Food trucks come on May 4th. Please review the following menus below and, if possible, send exact change with your student on Friday, May 4th!
Kodiak Cares Book Drive
Students are encouraged to bring in books to donate to Calgary Reads. They will accept all types of books except encyclopedias and dictionaries. Thanks!
Design Challenge Reflection
- Tuesday: the grade 9s will join the grade 5s during Flex to play some math games and get to know the students they share a hallway with.
- Wednesday: math problem solving groups start.
- Thursday: 5ABC are away on a field trip.
- Friday: there is no school for students.
There are some new and exciting things happening in grade 5.
1) We have some parent volunteers that are coming in after lunch during Flex block that are working on numeracy and number fluency with all students. There are two articles attached below for reading.
2) All of the grade 5 students are going to be mixed up into 7 different classes, instead of their normal 6, and our team will be planning some targeted lessons on problem solving. The students will cover how to read a problem for relevant vs. irrelevant information, 8 different strategies that can be helpful for problem solving, and practice solving problems. This begins on Wednesday, April 16th.
Welcome back after March Break!
News from the Learning Commons:
We have kicked off the magazine fundraiser for this year! Students received their fundraising packages on Friday, April 6th and they are due back Friday, April 13th. If your child sells 3 things from either catalogue, they earn $1 "Truck Buck" and there are more prizes for the more they sell. There will be food trucks at the school on Friday, May 4th where students can use their Truck Bucks and their own money to purchase treats!
Last week and this week, we have continued work from before the break and will start something new in math.
French: we are talking about our community currently and will be moving on to talk about Canada after that.
Math; we worked on ordering fractions and proper and improper fractions last week and finished the week off with a decimal pre-test to get an idea of where everyone is starting. This week we will be working on identifying decimals, how to read them, and money.
In French we are working on talking about things we did in the past and did a lot of work around Spring Break last week. This week we will continue to talk about community and where they go to buy or do different things.
Comic Life "Ma Journée" projects are due on Friday, April 13th and students have been working on these in class.
Students were all given rubrics to see where they are at with their Ma Famille projects and they had suggestions for improvement. Any of the corrections or suggestions are to be complete for Friday, April 13th as well. Students had class time last week, but will not have any more this week, so they need to attend Homework Club at lunch on Tuesday or work at home.