Tuesday, March 19th is the French field trip to Landmark. Students will be back at Nose Creek for lunch and have a regular afternoon of classes.
5F has a family project due Tuesday!
Wednesday, March 20th students will write a math quiz on division, probability and chance.
Thursday and Friday, March 21 & 22 is parent teacher interviews. Please schedule an appointment with Mme Crant for French and 5C math and with Mr Barg for Humanities and Science.
March break is happening next week, so no school!
As reminder about parent/teacher conferences, classes 5C and 5F now have two teachers, so it is best to book with both.
5C should book with Mme Crant to talk about math and French, and book with Mr Barg to talk about humanities and science.
5F should book with Mr Barg to talk about math and literacy, and book with Mme Crant to talk about Intensive French.
- 5C students who were here last week took home their division midpoint check-in. Please review it with your child.
- In math, we are starting 3-digit by 1-digit division. Students are learning to estimate, try mental math, and a formal procedure.
- 5C had a French project due on Friday and I am still waiting for many of them to be handed in.
- In French for 5F, we have started their My Family project and it is due March 19th. We are also practicing speaking in the future tense and talking about what we will do on Spring Break.
- The Ultimate Pack of coupons fundraiser for parent council are requesting that orders be is complete by March 18th.
- We are looking for donations of any no longer used medicine cups like in the photo below.
- 5C had a French project due today. The marks will be on PowerSchool by next week. Any late projects will have to stay in at lunch to complete them. We will be starting our new unit on Canada after March break. Next week we will be building vocabulary in preparation for our Movie Field Trip on March 19th.
- In math, 5C completed a midpoint check-in this week. The mark for this will also be on PowerSchool but please remember it is a MIDPOINT and not a final test.
- In French for 5F, we have started our Ma Famille projects and they will be due on March 20th. Students will have class time to complete, but occasionally might take work home if they are completing enough in class to keep them on track. They should be able to do this work completely independently and MUST NOT use Google Translate.
- All students have been provided a Mathletics login for their March Mathness competition. This is a Canada-wide competition where they can compete against other grade 5s in Canada. They will preview it tomorrow in class, but then it will be up to parents and guardians if they want to provide more time at home.
- We will have our division midpoint check-in on Thursday!
- In French we are wrapping up our comic book projects this week and moving on to our Canada unit.
- Students will be receiving a field trip form for their French field trip on March 19th. In order to buy concessions, they must be ordered ahead of time. The deadline is this Friday, March 8th. It costs $6.50 for the movie ticket and extra for concessions. There is a digital copy of the permission form on the grade 5 landing page.
- They will be starting their family unit this week.
- Students have had 3 assignments so far that will be on PowerSchool this week.
Important dates in March:
March 19th: French field trip
March 21st and 22nd: Parent Teacher
March 23-April 1st: March Break
Next week is Kodiak Spirit Week & Be Brave Hitmen game. Below is a schedule from the leadership students of what each day will be:
Monday – Twin Day/ Photobooth at lunch (but students can dress up in larger groups)
Tuesday – PJ Day (must be appropriate)
Wednesday – Pink Shirt Day/Hitman Hockey Game
Thursday – Dress Like Your Favourite Meme Day (MUST be appropriate)
- Students were asked to interview someone about money over the weekend. There are 12 questions for them to ask and record the answers in point form. These MUST be complete by tomorrow.
- Hitmen Hockey permission forms are due by Thursday at the latest.
- The envelopes that the report cards went home in need to be signed and returned to school.
- 5C will receive their math games tomorrow for this week. They will be reviewing area and perimeter as we will be looking at both of these again through division. It does say any shape, however, students are only required to know how to find area and perimeter of squares and rectangles in grade 5 so they are encouraged to choose that shape for their room.
- Report cards went home on Monday. The envelopes need to be signed and returned to the school.
- Last call for Hitmen permission forms is Thursday, February 21. The game is on Wednesday, February 27th.
- All grade 5 students need to interview someone who uses money over the weekend. They have a list of twelve questions to ask the person and record their answers.
- There is no math game this week due to the interview, but the games will be back on Tuesday. Students are expected to play the games every week.
- 5C students will begin their core classes on Monday. Period 1 is gym, period 2 is French with Mme Crant, and after nutrition break, in period 3, they will see Mr Barg for their first core class. They will only have French on B days, but will continue to come to me for math and flex daily.
- Report cards will be going home on Friday. If you have anything you would like to discuss please email me to schedule a meeting. The next round of parent teacher conferences are in March.
- Calgary Hitmen "Be Brave" permission forms are due back as soon as possible. I need the permission form first and then the payment can come when you're ready.
- 5C will be writing their fractions quiz on Thursday. Below there is a review and two games for those that are interested in extra support. Please encourage your child to complete at least one of the two fraction reviews.
- There are two new division math games going home today to be played twice each by next Monday. Our next theme will be on division, probability and chance. We have one more theme to cover then we will loop back and dig deeper into each theme we've covered.
- There are two new division games to be played this week. Students should play both at least twice by Monday, February 4th.
- This week the Intensive French students will be participating in celebration conversations! They will spend 10-15 minutes with a French speaker that is not there teacher to get the feel of what it would be like to have a conversation with someone who speaks French.
- There is no school Friday, February 1st.
- Term change starts on Monday, February 4th. It is a 2B day so the students will start in physical education and then have their option second block. After nutrition break they will be with Mr. Barg for period 3, Mme Crant for period 4 for math, lunch, Flex with Mme Crant, and then back to Mr Barg for periods 5 and 6. They will receive their new schedules on Thursday.
Grade 5 Intensive French and Math teacher at Nose Creek School
Jan 28, 29, 31: French Conversations
Feb 1: No school
Feb 4: End of semester 1
Feb 8: Report cards go home